Thursday, September 22, 2011

An Unexpected Morning

This morning, Miss A threw an earth-shattering tantrum when she was supposed to be getting dressed. It was complete with screaming and crying. It took calling E to talk her down from her tantrum...and me talking her through taking her pj's off and putting her shirt and shorts on.

But we made it past that and I got both children into the car.

Made it to my prenatal appt in time.

Met up with my photographer friend, Kristen, who watched the kids in the playroom while I went in for my appointment.

My midwife, Wendy, whom I really like, listened to the heartbeat and couldn't quite get a good reading and the doppler kept cutting out. So, she went and changed the battery pack.
Battery pack changed and once again listening, she heard an irregularity.
This worried her and me.
She wanted to send me across the street to the hospital for an NST (non-stress test) to monitor the baby's heartbeat.

I didn't get upset till I told Kristen what we had to go to and then the tears came.

Called E and let him know the plan.

Went over to the hospital and Kristen played with the kids in the play area while I went into a triage/ante natal room.

Monitors were placed on my belly-




And the heartbeat was monitored for an hour-








I did cry a little during this...worrying about the baby.
I noticed the heart rate would accelerate when the baby or I moved.

Thankfully and gratefully, the nurse determined that the heartrate was just fine and she didn't hear any irregularities.
The midwife on call, Courtney, called and talked to me about it.
She agreed that it could have been a fluke or the doppler in the office.
She said she didn't see any reason for concern but that  I could follow up in the morning at the office as soon as it opens for another heart rate check. Or she could call Maternal Fetal Medicine and have an ultrasound done but she didn't know if it could be done right away.

Because the NST came out fine, the midwife and nurse didn't seem concerned and my children were in the waiting room, I decided not to push for an ultrasound and that I would follow up tomorrow morning for a heart rate check.

I had lots of people praying for me this morning and I am so thankful for their prayers!!!
My midwife checked me at my appt and I am now at 4 cm. :-) Still 50% effaced and baby still at the same station. I was happy to hear the number 4. Progress is great.

**Update-I went in Friday morning and Anne, the midwife, listened to the heartbeat and did not hear any concerns. Praise the Lord!!

No comments: