Thursday, September 15, 2011

2 Things

2 big events happened during this pregnancy so far:
we survived our first earthquake and a hurricane all in one week.
On August 23rd, one day after my parents left to go back to Louisiana, I was sitting in the basement as FJ was napping and Miss A was supposed  to be napping...or resting...
While I was on the computer, I felt our townhouse start shaking.
Being that we are very close to an airport and that I've never experienced nor expected an earthquake, I thought it might be a plane flying too low or a fleet of planes...which is actually kind of scary.
It took me a moment to really realize that something was happening and by the time I realized it might be something huge...it had stopped.
I went ran upstairs to get Miss A because she was crying...
The first thing she asks me as I round the top of the stairs-"Mommy, did you make the house shake?"
Ha! I laughed...no, with my wide girth, I did not make the house shake.

FJ was still sleeping so Miss A and I stepped outside to see neighbors who had also come out of their houses.
I was still expecting to see some kind of plane flying overhead.
I asked my neighbor if she had felt the same thing and she had.
We all figured out it must have been an earthquake.
I came in and turned on the TV and there it was...the epicenter in Mineral, VA about 2 hours away from here. It was a 5.9 earthquake.
I couldn't believe I had just experienced an earthquake in Virginia.

That weekend, Hurricane Irene, was heading up the east coast.
We are a few hours away from the coast, however, people were hitting the stores like we were much closer.
Plus, we were told we would be getting rain and crazy winds.
So, we prepared and bought the obligatory few bottles of water and some non perishable canned goods.
Then the weekend came and yes, we got some wild wind and a little rain but not what they had quite predicted for our area...thankfully.
Even some of the coastal towns that got hit, were spared.

So, why did I blog about this?
Because I want this little baby to know what it lived through when he/she was still in utero...I like to think he/she will find it fascinating one day.

No comments: