Thursday, June 16, 2011

Life-Giving

I often use the term "life-giving" about a friend who lifts me up or encourages me or inspires me. Someone who is just easy to be around...I can be myself around them...and they always know just the right thing to say to lift my spirits if I am having a rough day, week, or even month!

But today, I use the term "life-giving" for my small group that I've been attending on Wednesday nights. E comes home, I help get the kids bathed and ready for bed, and then I head out with my book and Bible in hand, excited to see the ladies in my small group and learn something new that evening.

While I've done CBS during the day, I've never done a study at night and especially with so many ladies who are my friends, attend church with me and see regularly throughout the week.

Not to mention that the study we are doing is a study by Beth Moore...who is also life-giving. See, I've never done a Beth Moore study before now. Yes, I've been a believer since I was in elementary school and I've attended church since I was I was a twinkle in my mother's eye but I've never done a study by Beth Moore until now. Yes, I know...I know...I was missing out...but not any more.

The study we are doing is David: Seeking a Heart Like His. She updated her original study and revised it in 2010. I've linked the title to amazon.com so you can click on it to check it out for yourself.

When Monday rolls around, I. Am. Happy. Because I know that in two days, I will be heading out that evening to spend time with God, other believers, and learning more about God's Word.


While I am working on my study during the day (either in the morning at breakfast, during nap, or at night), I am constantly in awe of what God is teaching me and I am constantly underlining things that strike me either in my Bible or the book.


How much more exciting for us to all get together and share what the Lord has taught us about ourselves and His word!

Like I said, I had never done a study by Beth Moore before and now I know why so many people enjoy her studies. She has a great sense of humor (have you ever seen her talk about the hairbrush and the man in the airport??) and she doesn't hesitate to point a finger at herself when she has been out of line with God's word.

Another great side note is that I want my children, as they grow up, to view reading the Bible as normal and part of their daily activities as taking their vitamins and brushing their teeth. In order to do that, I know I must model that behavior myself. The best way to do that? Read my own Bible daily. 

This study of 1 Samuel and 2 Samuel and the ladies I spend two hours with each week are so life-giving. If you ever have a chance to do a study by Beth Moore or to do a small group with other ladies, don't pass up the chance. You won't regret it and you will be amazed at what God will start doing in your life, heart, soul and mind. 

No comments: