Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Blueberry Pickin'

Last Tuesday we went blueberry picking with some friends. I have never really been fruit picking at all. I had never seen a blueberry growing on a bush that I can remember either. This was a new experience for my children and for me! The weather was GORGEOUS so I had to get outside with them. The high was maybe 75-78 that day so the morning was exquisite.

It was about a 40 minute drive to the farm and I had a friend following us and a couple of others meeting us out there.
Once we got there, we read the instructions at the table as there was no one sitting there and there was a whiteboard with the instructions written on it. The teacher in me noticed that the owner had written that it was an "Honer system" instead of an "Honor system". Anyway, the instructions were to get a basket and get pickin' and don't worry about eating them because they were fine to eat them without washing them first. Then when we were done, we could come back to the table and measure our berries out into a couple of cardboard pints and figure out how much we owed. Lastly, we had to put cash or a check into an open cash box. Indeed...it was an honor system. I only had a checkbook and that was a great thing considering one of my friends only had a credit card!

The table with the instructions on the side of that little building-

That was great news as my son proceeded to eat lots...including lots of green and pink ones.
I think he eventually learned and started eating only the blue ones just as I had instructed.



 FJ with the stick and Miss A with the bucket on her head-

Me with my two berry pickers-
The blueberries-


The scenery-


Miss A got tired of picking after a while and took a break in the stroller as did FJ.

She did have fun picking with her friends, M and J.
I did finally have to take over the picking myself to ensure we brought a fair amount home.

When we were getting ready to leave-
 Miss A with the blueberry bushes in the far background (her new thing is sticking out her tongue in pics by the way)-

Those blueberries lasted us all week and we have just a few left. We were going to make Aunt Sharon's blueberry pie or some pancakes but alas, my children have been eating them all. FJ goes into the fridge when it's open and pulls out the container. I have to eventually tell him "no more". He would eat those morning, noon, and night.
Our amount when we got home-
Bluberries small and large-
If you live in the area, check out Eagletree Farm for blueberry picking...especially on a gorgeous day...before the blueberry season is over.

No comments: