Friday, August 21, 2009

Boo...

On Wednesday, our wonderful Macbook Pro laptop met its end. :-( We haven't had our dear laptop a year yet. While I was sitting at the table checking email very quickly after lunch, Audrey was also sitting at the kitchen table in a chair. She was playing with a couple of my books that were on the table. She slid one over and it knocked over my glass of ice water. The water poured over the keyboard on my laptop and onto the floor. I will not mention the not-so-nice word that slipped out of my mouth nor will I mention the very loud "NO! that came out of my mouth. But I jumped up and grabbed a towel to dry up the water and was still able to use the internet. I thought that I had luckily missed a bad situation but I was wrong. Later I came back to the laptop to check on it. This was when I realized that things were not OK. The computer was off and when I tried to turn it back on, it would start come on and then shut off. It did this a few times so I unplugged it and sat it on my lap. That's when I noticed water on my shorts and realized that all the water had not been dried. I finally got the laptop on and got online only to see the screen turn black and see red lines at the top of the screen!! Then the laptop just started beeping! AAAHHH! I shut it down and then later tried to start it up again after opening up the back and drying out the batter. I got it turn on and got online again. This time it went black and had red lines going up and down the screen! I knew this wasn't good. Today, Miss A and I took it to the Apple store and had to leave it with them. The laptop is being sent away to the Apple experts and we are hoping that our hard drive will be saved and that we will still have our photos and movies that we loaded onto iPhoto but never backed up onto an external hard drive. There is a flat fee to send it away (water damage is not covered under the warranty)...care to guess the grand total?
That would be $1300!! We don't have to pay it till it comes back but that was not an amount of money we were anticipating on spending right now. We will just have to budget our money this month and just cut back on any extra spending.
You may wonder if we have learned any lessons from all of this? Well, yes, we have!
We will be purchasing Time Machine for Mac...this is a wireless service that automatically backs up your computer every time you turn it on.
We will no longer be keeping the computer in the kitchen...it will only stay in the basement or in our bedroom.
The laptop will always be on some kind of elevated table so that Miss A and our other children will not be able to reach it.
No drinks will be allowed near the computer....whatsoever!

Right now, I am posting on my sweet husband's work computer. I can only check email on his computer when he brings it home from work in the evenings or if I get a chance to check email at a friend's house.

Apple says the computer will likely take about 4 business days to be returned to us but it could take up to 10 days. In the meantime, I am learning to enjoy talking on the phone again! Ha! I know that God is showing me something through all of this and I think it has something to do with the amount of time I spend on the computer. :-)

4 comments:

thecoghlans said...

Wow! That is a big chunk of money to have it fixed. I remember seeing that laptop too; it was so pretty. Hopefully they can fix it soon & you'll be back online again. :o)

the fortenberrys said...

That really stinks, Laura. I hope they can save your pics and videos. I had a scare a couple of days ago with losing all of Avery's pictures since she was born because of not backing them up. I understand!

Scarlett Pourciau said...

Yes, Damon's law school viao is on its last legs and I did not get my school laptop back this year because we all got Promethean boards. Suck! Guess we'll be looking for something new soon, too.

jenny said...

We had a similar story with our Mac laptop a few months back...non liquid spilled, our hard drive just crashed. It was just under $1000 to get it fixed and retrieve all our data. We considered just buying a PC (which we could have done for the same amount of money to get our 4-year-old Mac fixed!), but we just couldn't do it. We love our Mac and since we've gotten it back, I'd say it was worth the money. Hopefully, you'll have the same experience :)