Friday, September 05, 2008

Operation Pacifier Wean 2008

I think Audrey is co-dependent on her pacifier. Ever since last Thursday, she has been waking up just about ever hour during the night. When I go in to her room, she is crying because her paci has fallen out and she is awake. I give it back to her and she goes back to sleep. However, I can't keep going back in her room every hour every night. So, I need suggestions on how to wean her from a pacifier besides just taking it away from her and listening to her scream.

4 comments:

All Things Family said...

I'm with ya on cutting one and seeing how that works...but otherwise have heard cold turkey works..but that may be for older kids and not our sweet little babies!

Paige and Russ Atkins said...

we went through that...oh, so much fun! Does she have a small blanket you can put by her cheek maybe, it works for H??? He just rubs it on his eyes and falls asleep. If Aud is rolling over, she should be fine with a blanket by now. And, when he was waking up in the night, if I just waited like a few seconds before running in there, he would fall right back to sleep...when I kept going in it actually woke him up more. They are also dependent on you running when they cry out, and H is definitely learning that now!

Good Luck!

Paige and Russ Atkins said...

also, our doctor told us to offer him his finger to suck on instead...does she suck her thumb?

The Fortenberrys said...

if you take it away, chances are she'll find another way to soothe herself. kinsey relies on her thumb to get her to sleep and now the thumb comes out after falling asleep and she's fine. granted that will be another thing down the line to probably break her of but she only does it when she's terribly sleepy or in her crib going to sleep. i don't know if this helps, but good luck.