No one told me that motherhood came with bucketfuls of guilt. I feel guilty all the time. About everything. For the house not being clean. For the laundry not being done. For accidentally pinching the baby once when I was trying to snap his diaper closed. For not totally loving the 74th straight minute of dancing the stuffed frog to baby music for the kiddo. For not getting the monthly invoicing for my company done timely. For still being on maternity leave. For not working enough on my maternity leave. For feeling relieved when the kiddo is napping sometimes. For not fully and totally enjoying every single instant of every single day. For not giving my husband enough sexy time. For not wanting to prioritize giving my husband more sexy time. For not starting working out yet. For not putting the kiddo down for tummy time more often. For playing on the internet instead of cleaning when the kiddo is napping not in my arms sometimes. For stopping getting up after the kiddos 4am feed to pump. For not getting our living will or the kiddo’s 529 plan set up yet. For not taking enough pictures or video of the kiddo. I could seriously keep going. On and on and on. I actually truly feel guilty about all this. Intellectually I know that the guilt is senseless, mostly unmerited and ridiculous. Emotionally – I just feel guilty.
Tuesday, January 11, 2011
Buckets
I just wanted to repost something I read on another blog that I think most moms and women will understand and appreciate. This blogger and I have different belief systems but I follow her blog after she struggled with infertility for so long, it was so wonderful to see her get pregnant and have a son. I've enjoyed reading her posts about how much she loves her son and how much she loves motherhood. She recently posted a stream of concsioucness and she just nailed it when she mentioned the tons of mom guilt. I had never put this into words but I have this daily too and she just worded it so well that I had to copy and paste this portion of her post. I hope that other moms and women out there who read this will realize they aren't alone and maybe we need to kick that guilt to the curb:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment