Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Birthday Crown

After seeing the cute crown that my friend made for her son for his birthday, I decided to make a felt birthday crown for Miss A for her birthday...and then I got real and realized it wasn't going to be done by her birthday! I planned to design, cut, and sew the whole thing myself but that was until my dear husband somehow got involved with the project. I became more of the project manager/designer than the actual sewer. But I DID sew the elastic on the back of the crown at least. E and those dang Home Ec classes he took in middle school!

E and I both taught ourselves how to embroider by watching videos on the internet while we were working on the crown. I taught myself the basic stitch and E taught himself the chain stitch and then volunteered to stitch the A on her crown.

I chose the shapes I wanted for the crown and found templates online and printed them out. Then E cut them out of the felt and hand sewed them on...yes, like I said...E did most of the work! He totally hijacked my project! (But he did a wonderful job!)
He also did the embroidery around the heart and used it to put the whole crown together.
I am so glad we didn't rush to get it done for her birthday because she has pretty much REFUSED to wear it since it was done! That's a 2 year old though, right?
The tutorial I used for the crown came from Frontier Dreams.

Without further adieu...here are photos of the crown...
 
  
  
 

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

COMPLETELY ADORABLE. I love that E took over the project. You guys are so clever and crafty!

Anonymous said...

I love Miss A's birthday crown! I'm sure she'll wear it soon, maybe for Valentine's Day, Evan's birthday or playing dress up. Love, Aunt Sharon

thecoghlans said...

Man you guys are crafty! What a great crown! Maybe she'll change her mind & want to wear it for Valentine's Day. :o)

All Things Family said...

that is super cute! Sorry E hijacked your project, but it did turn out pretty stinking precious!