Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Year Ago Today

It was a year ago today on Wednesday, May 22nd, that I got my positive pregnancy test! After work that day, I went by Target and bought a couple of things including a Clearblue Easy EPT with two tests inside. I got the 2-test box just in case it was negative...I figured I could test again in a couple of days. We had been trying for 6 months to get pregnant so I was really, really hoping for a positive test. I wasn't having any pregnancy symptoms yet but there were a couple of things that made me think I was pregnant and I just thought I would buy a test...I think it had been a couple of months since I had tested...I had forced myself to not test during April. :-)Anyway, I bought the test and came home and couldn't wait to test. I tried to look away during the wait time but as soon as I looked back at it I saw "Pregnant" pop up! I just get so excited thinking about it again. I remember I was totally shocked. I felt like I had won the lottery...seriously. That is how ecstatic and surprised I was!!! I just remember putting my hands on my face and laughing and saying "Oh my gosh" over and over again also while crying. After I calmed down, I called Evan and asked him if he could come home early because I was having an "emotional day". Ha! I didn't want to worry him but I wanted him to come home soon. So, he said he would leave early. When I got off the phone with him, I went to Hallmark and bought a Father's Day card that was for a Dad-to-Be. I came home and wrote inside it and put the pregnancy test (with the cap on!) inside the card in the envelope. Then I waited...that was the hard part (isn't it always?). When Evan got home, I told him I had gone to Hallmark and bought some Father's Day cards and for him to take a look at them. I told him one of them was for my friend Ashley's husband, Chris, because they had just found out they were pregnant with their second son. He said he would look at them but he had a story from work to tell me so I listened patiently while I was about to burst with excitement on the inside. After the story, I told him to look at the cards, but then he went into another work story. So, I listened and waited some more. Then when he was finished talking, he started to go upstairs to change clothes. I then said, "Aren't you going to look at the cards I bought today?" He said "Oh! Yeah!" I gave him the envelope (which I had not sealed) and said it was for Ashley's husband but to read the card anyway to let me know what he thought. So, he read the front and then opened it up and read the inside but when he got to the part that I had written he noticed it was addressed to him. He looked over at me with the happiest surprised face ever!!! He had tears in his eyes almost immediately and he said "OH MY GOSH!!!" over and over. My eyes are tearing up right now thinking about it. Until that day, I had never known that kind of excitement and thrill and joy although Evan's proposal came pretty close! :-) Anyway, we hugged and kissed and were both so excited and shocked. Shortly after that we called our moms and broke the news to them but told them not to tell anyone else till I had gone in to get it confirmed with my Ob/Gyn. Two days later, I got the results and I was elated and thrilled. We then called other close family members and told them. But I didn't really break the news to extended family and friends till we heard the heartbeat at 6 weeks. I will never forget that amazing day. It was such a blessing and I thanked God for that positive test and for that baby growing inside me. I felt that same excitement and thrill and joy again on January 25th when Audrey was born. Here we are a year after that positive test and Audrey will be 4 months old on Sunday!

No comments: