Thursday, May 29, 2008

4 Month Check up

Audrey had her 4 month check up today with a new pediatrician. Sadly, our other pediatrician is closing her offices as of tomorrow. We really liked her and the other doctor there but thankfully, the new doctor we saw today was very nice. Hopefully, the other docs in the practice are just as nice. Audrey weighed 12 pounds, 12 ounces and is 23 1/2 inches long. Yes, she is a petite little thing but she is our petite little thing and we think she is as cute as can be! It really cracks us up because I always tell her that she is a "slow-gainer" like her daddy! She is in about the 25th percentile for weight and height. She was around the 50th percentile at her check up at 2 months. But she is healthy and growing and that makes us happy! Her head circumfrence is 41 cm which puts her in the 50th percentile for that. She got two more vaccines today and she did amazing! She got the oral vax again today and she didn't spit near as much out as she did last time. The nurse had a great trick-she would give Audrey a little at a time and then put her paci in and that would cause her to swallow. It worked because she hardly spit any out! Then it came time for her other vaccine in her leg. I was a little worried but she had done great with the oral vax and I had just fed her prior to that so I had confidence that she wouldn't be too upset. When the nurse gave her the shot, she didn't cry! She didn't let out one single peep! I couldn't believe it! She was awesome! Once again she is living up to her name's meaning.
She does have one eyelid that is kind of swollen or sitting lower than the other. I just noticed it yesterday. Evan's eyelid does this when he has had a long day at work or has looked at a computer screen too long or is just tired. The doc gave me some ideas for what to do to make it better. Audrey also has some dry patches on her arms and legs and I can just put some Aveeno or Cetaphil on that. But she does have some dryness behind her ears too which is from cradle cap so I will need to put hydrocortisone on that.
The pediatrician said she would like me to start Audrey on rice cereal at 5 months to get her ready for vegetable and fruit baby food at 6 months. So, it looks like I will be starting her on food earlier than I thought. I thought I had at least two more months! She said for me to look for signs that Audrey is ready to try something other than mommy's milk. Signs would be Audrey smacking her lips when she sees me eating and Audrey watching me when I eat. I did notice her eyeing my sandwich today...
So that is her latest check up! Right now she is napping and I am very happy about that!

No comments: