Hebrews 12
New International Version (NIV)
12 Therefore,
since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us
throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.
And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, 2 fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
I think of Hebrews 12:1 when I consider the most recent step I have taken to get rid of what hinders my life in Christ.
That which hinders me has been my iPhone and most specifically: my gmail account. It hinders me from spending time in God's word, spending time with my husband and my children and even other people I see on a regular basis.
I got my iPhone almost 2 years ago. Before that I had a Droid Eris, my first smartphone. That thing was s-l-o-w. I did not send many emails on it and the ones I did send were short and to the point. I think once someone even told me my email was "curt". Let me tell you why my emails were curt- It was hard to type on that small phone. The key pad was small.
The Facebook app also didn't work well and I just didn't like the functionality of it.
Oddly enough, I miss that phone now. I actually wish I still had it because the fact that it was so S-L-O-W. It would have actually kept me off of it.
But alas, my husband sold them on ebay for more than we paid for them. They are long gone.
Now, to the present. My problem of checking my email all. the. time. on my phone.
I have tried multiple things to not feel the need to constantly check it but none of them quite worked. Here's what I tried in case you have the same obsession problem I had:
1. Shutting off notifications almost 2 years ago when I first got the phone.
2. Shutting off the sound function that "dings" when an email comes in.
2. Moving the envelope icon to the very last "page" on my phone.
3. Moving the envelope icon into a folder with the apps icon so that I wouldn't recognize which app is showing numbers that need to be checked.
What finally worked?
I went into my settings on my phone and merely selected to "turn off mail".
It's magical I tell you.
Saturday...I did not actually check my email at all until we got home from a day in D.C.. This is HUGE for me, people, HUGE.
I now have to check my Gmail on my computer at home. (Okay, yes, technically I can check my email on my phone if I use the Safari browser but that takes some time to do and it doesn't pop up any "numbers" telling me I have email to check RIGHT NOW.)
So, if you are wondering why I haven't been responding as quickly to emails... you now have the answer.
I'm still around...just enjoying real life.
What hinders you?
It may be your smart phone, TV or just the Internet in general. It could be any kind of media or it could be your work. Take a look and see what it is that holds you back from being fully present and takes away time from your responsibilities and simply enjoying real life.
No comments:
Post a Comment