While my mom was visiting
we tried to potty train FJ...when I say "we", I mostly mean my mom. She was the hero during those three days as it allowed me to still get out of the house with the girls while she graciously and willingly stayed home to try to potty train him. Have I mentioned how awesome my mom is??
The potty training did not go well.
The first day...we were armed with M&M's and Cars stickers...he would start to wet his undies and then freak out and stop himself...which seemed like a good start-
but then he would just hold it for a really long time and then not go at all on the potty.
The second day was worse....he held it longer and waited too long and then finally had an accident on the floor.
Then on Wednesday, it was the worst of all...he had held it so much that he got constipated and while sitting on the potty, he started to go and it hurt so badly that he was kind of traumatized by the little potty. This then caused him to not even do anything in his diaper!
I was almost in tears...and then realized that we had to stop trying to train him and had to offer him M&M's to actually go in his diaper again!
That was in April.
Fast forward to May 31st....
We are sitting at the breakfast table...
FJ says "No tee-tee in diaper!" while sitting in his heavily soaked diaper from the night before.
This was new...
he usually happily sits in a wet diaper at breakfast because heaven forbid I try to change his wet diaper first thing in the morning!
So..what do I do? I ask him if he wants to go to the potty and for the first time in months...he didn't say "no".
he didn't say anything at all...
so I asked again...
again he said nothing...
so...I scooped him up and carried him off to the restroom...
took diaper off...
set him down on the little potty...
and lo and behold...
he peed!
Right after he did so, I put him in undies which, again...he didn't say no to (he's been in a huge "no" stage since before he turned two).
That day he had a couple of incidents where he barely wet his undies before he realized he had to go and he pooped in his undies once. I even left the house with him in undies but took a spare change of clothes just in case.
Side note-while we were in my exercise class, he found the extra clothes and began stripping down to change into the extra clothes. I wouldn't have known because he was behind me but the instructor said "We are losing clothes!" as I turn around to see a nakey bum on my little man. Quite humorous.
The next day there were no accidents and he pooped in his diaper during nap, the third day, he pooped in the potty!
That was about 3 weeks ago and he's been in undies since then.
He is put in a pull up at nap and night time...that is if he doesn't fight it...sometimes he refuses a pull up at nap. Or he just takes it all off and falls asleep half-dressed before I realize it.
He uses public restrooms just fine...he actually prefers to stand at those...or as he says "do it like daddy".
He needs no reminders...I don't have to set timers or ask him if he needs to go.
He either goes into the restroom and does it all on his own or he says "no tee-tee in underwear!" and that means he needs to go.
After the potty training drama that we went through with Miss A, this is truly amazing to us and we are SO grateful.
I also give thanks to my mom as I believe she helped to lay the groundwork for him and we were able to see that he did know the urge and had the capability to hold it when he wanted/needed to. So thanks Mom and Thank you God! :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment