Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Remembering

Remembering a life...remembering my grandfather.

My Papaw was born in 1927 in Pennsylvania. He passed away on July 1, 2010 in Louisiana. He was a Baptist and retired from the U.S. Post Office. He proudly served his country in the U.S. Air Force. He was a loving, faithful husband, father and papaw. He never did anything half way; everything was done to the best of his ability. (Adapted from his obituary written by my grandmother.)

I have such fond memories of my grandfather....we were close. I have to choke back tears as I type this.
He was always there to help when help was needed. He was willing to go the extra mile. He truly knew what it meant to be in a family. When I was in college, I needed some new tires. My grandfather decided to drive 2 hours south to where I was at college with my grandmother just to come and help me get new tires for my car. He took me to Sam's and hooked me up with 4 new tires and then drove back home. I remember watching them drive away with tears in my eyes because it was such a loving thing to do.

He always wanted to be fair to all his children and grandchildren. So, when he helped me get my first car, he also helped my brother and cousin do the same. He also helped me to get my second car 4 years later and he was always good at talking the salesman down on the price! He prided himself in the great deals he could get. :-)

He loved my grandmother and her cooking and he had lived in the south so long that not many people would have guessed he was originally from Pennsylvania. His father moved here with his family from Czechoslovakia when he was about 9 years old so my grandfather was one of the first in his family to be born here in America.

My grandfather is missed by his wife, my Mamaw. He is also missed by one son, 2 daughters, one son-in-law, 6 grandchildren and their spouses, and 9 great-grandchildren.

From left-my grandmother, me (pregnant with Miss A), and my grandfather-

From Left-E, Me-very pregnant with Miss A, Mamaw, Papaw


My grandfather meeting Miss A for the first time and sweetly trying to console her-
Papaw with Miss A at 11 months old-
Papaw, Miss A, and E
Last summer-Me (pregnant with FJ) holding Miss A, sitting next to my g-pa, and Dad-
Miss A getting comfy with her feet propped up on Papaw-

This year...just a month and a half ago-Miss A with Papaw-
Papaw with FJ-
I miss you and love you so much and you will always be in my heart. I look forward to the day that I can share my memories of you with my children.

3 comments:

Scarlett Pourciau said...

Very touching tribute. One way that I help Stella remember my grandma is by showing her pictures of herself with Grandma and telling her that Grandma is in heaven. Stella always says she wants to go to heaven "right now" so I have to explain that you have to be very old to go there.

Lindsay said...

Laura this is such a touching post. Your grandfather sounds like a wonderful man. I am so sorry for your loss.

Mt Princess said...

All your photos are wonderful. I have been praying for you and asking you to be filled with the JOY & PEACE that can only come from HIM. Hope you are doing okay :)