Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Dear Audrey,

Dear Audrey Amalie,
To my beautiful miracle born over a year ago, what do I wish for you and pray over you? I pray for you over 100 years of a very full life. I wish you God's blessings and love over your life. I wish you contentment, character, integrity, laughter, empathy, a compassionate heart, true love, introspection, knowledge, friends, faith and understanding of the love of Jesus and lots of sunny days.

You are your mother's daughter with your insistence on not going to sleep when you are supposed to but going to sleep on your own terms. Your preference for sleeping next to me...right up against my neck...and for being hugged and held and cuddled remind me all so much of my own love of those things. Your desire to sit up/crawl/walk correctly and to do so means waiting till after others have gone before you reminds me way too much of my own careful research that I like to do before trying something new and also of your daddy's love of research and careful contemplation before making decisions.

You are your father's daughter with your insistence for every last crumb or toy or book to be cleared off the highchair or table. Your desire to help put laundry in the clothes basket and take it out also reminds me of your daddy's tidiness.

Your choosiness for food...well...that's a beautiful combination of your daddy and mommy.

You have your daddy's hair and complexion not to mention his fingers and toes....Your mommy's eyes and nose...Your grandpapa's and granddaddy's blue eyes...and occasionally your great grandfather's profile.

You are our miracle...you have added so much life to our days and our nights! We love your smile, your laugh that sounds most like a cackle, and your hugs. The way you rest your head on our shoulder lets us know that this...is...the...moment to just be fully in....to shut out the rest of the world...close our eyes...take a deep breath...let out a big sigh...and plaster the goofiest grin on our faces.

We love you so much,
Mommy and Daddy

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That is a very sweet letter, it made my heart melt. I overwhelms me how much I love her sometimes and I know you guys feel the same way about Miss A! Can't wait to see you guys on Friday so Audrey can show off her new walking skills. :)

Damon R. Pourciau said...

Very sweet!