Thursday, January 22, 2009

Audrey's First Fever :-(

We have been so blessed for Audrey to be so healthy her first year of life. The only illness she had this past year was a mild case of what appeared to be the croup...until...Tuesday night. Audrey woke up around 2:30 in the morning and we brought her in our room. She had soaked through her diaper so I started to change her diaper and clothes and noticed how hot her torso and head felt. I noticed that all her extremities felt warm too. So, I checked her temp under her arm and it was 100.5. She had never had a fever this past year until now. I was really hoping this would be one thing we would not experience during her first 365 days of life. Wednesday morning, I got up with her and took her to the doctor during their walk-in hours. While I was there, a girl threw up in the office and right after that, people just started pouring in to the office. After about 20 minutes, we got called back to the room. Audrey weighed 20 pounds and her temp was around 99.5. They did a strep test and it came back negative but her nose was congested and runny and her throat was red. She also had a slight cough but she was, of course, not coughing while the NP was there. The nurse practitioner suggested fluids, rest, and Tylenol for the fever. Well, thankfully for me, my mom flew in Wednesday afternoon for Audrey's birthday this weekend. The Lord's timing was perfect because He knew I would need reinforcements with Audrey being sick. After picking up my mom, we came home and gave Audrey a nap.

Around 3 this morning, Audrey woke up with a fever of 101.6 and we gave her Tylenol and milk and she went back to sleep. When she woke up this morning, her fever was right under 99.8 and the rest of the day it's been down. I am so thankful....I've been praying that her fever would go away and that she would be well by this weekend.

I've also been praying for Evan and my mom because before my mom flew up here she had a head cold/sinus infection and I was worried that her ears would give her problems while flying. She did have some problems with the pressure while she was flying but thankfully she made it here fine.
Evan has been sick this week and he left work early yesterday but made it the full day today. He is feeling better today thankfully as well. As for me, I've had a scratchy throat, stopped up ears, and a stuffy nose but I've felt okay overall and I have been very thankful but I would do anything to change places with Audrey and have a fever instead of her. :-(

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I know how scary that is to find them in the middle of the night burning up! I'm glad to hear that she's on the mend and I hope you are all feeling better by this weekend.

All Things Family said...

Hope you all are feeling better soon! Glad you survived Audrey's first fever!

mishler clan said...

Glad to hear Miss A is feeling better. I haven't been so lucky...with Elle in daycare she's had a fever a whole lot of times already and she's only 8 months old. :( They are scary though!!